A personal support worker works under the supervision of a Registered Nurse or Registered Practical Nurse. They can be employed in a variety of settings including short-term/rehabilitation facility, long term care, community care, private homes, and within their communities caring for our elders.
Credential Awarded: Ontario College Certificate
Awarding Institution: OSHKI-WENJACK / Confederation College
Program Length: 3 Semesters (Includes 1 summer semester)
Start Date: August 2019*
*start dates are subject to change
The minimum admission requirement for a postsecondary program is an Ontario Secondary School Diploma (OSSD), or appropriate credits from the Mature Student Assessment (MSA), General Education Development Test (GED), Academic and Career Entrance (ACE).
As a Personal Support Worker student you are required to complete the following clinical requirements:
- Criminal record check with a vulnerable sector check
- First Aid (This will be arranged by your program coordinator on your first on-campus block - fees paid by student)
- CPR - HCP (This will be arranged by your program coordinator on your first on-campus block - fees paid by student)
- Mask Fit testing (This will be arranged by your program coordinator on your first on-campus block - fees paid by student)
- 2 Step TB skin test
- If TB skin test positive, a Chest X-ray is required
- Immuniztion record
- Serology for Hep B; Measles, Mumps, and Rubella; Varicella (if any are non-reactive then boosters are required)
- WHIMIS (This will be arranged by your program coordinator on your first on-campus block - fees paid by student)
- Influenza vaccine - Proof of vaccination within past 6 months
Applicants must meet the admission requirements for the Personal Support Worker program delivered by Oshki-Pimache-O-Win Education & Training Institute. As part of the admissions process each applicant must submit the following:
1. An Oshki-Pimache-O-Win Program Application Form (Paper or Online).
2. An online or paper application to the Ontario College Application Services (OCAS).
3. Official transcript(s) from the last institution attended.
4. Proof of post-secondary sponsorship in the form of a written letter which states the name of the student, the program of study and the duration of sponsorship.
The Personal Support Worker Program is designed to provide the student with the knowledge and skills to meet the expectations of this role. Personal Support Workers work under the supervision of Registered Nurses or Registered Practical Nurses.
Based on the individual needs of each person that they support, the Personal Support Worker (PSW) assists persons with the tasks of daily living such as; home management, personal care, family responsibilities, social and recreational activities. These services are provided in homes and apartments in the community, in long-term care facilities, congregate housing settings, in the workplace and in educational facilities. This program is intended to meet the Ministry of Health guidelines established by its Long Term Care Division.
The tuition fee will be announced at a later date.
- PW 101 Supportive Care Theory I – 45 hours
- PW 102 Professional Growth – 45 hours
- PW 128 Helping Relationships – 45 hours
- PW 130 Anatomy & Physiology – 45 hours
- PW 109 Lab Skills for the Personal Support Worker – 28 hours
- PW 107 PSW: Community Clinical - 60 hours
- CS 007 Persuasive Writing - 42 hours
- PW 201 Supportive Care Theory II – 45 hours
- PW 230 Growth & Development – 42 hours
- PW 209 Advanced Labs Skills for the Personal Support Worker – 54 hours
- PW 207 PSW Practice II: Clinical – 80 hours
- PW 208 PSW Clinical: Consolidation - 160 hours
Semester One: August – December 2019
August 15th & August 16th
August 15th – August 30th
September 3rd – October 18th
October 19th – November 1st
November 4th – November 29th
November 30th – December 12th
Semester Two January – May 2020
E-Learning Session 1: At home, online between 8-10pm EST
January 13th – February 14th
February 15th – February 28th
March 2nd – March 20th
March 23rd – May 3rd
For More Information
Cinnamon Kelly, Recruitment Officer
Toll Free: 1-866-636-7454